Saturday, June 30, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Cookies

So many flourless baking creations use almond flour, so I set out to try to use a seed as the base instead. These cookies are so simple and delicious and make a nutritious, but still indulgent, snack. I have baked these a few times recently on days when nap time is almost over and I need a snack pronto before I have hangry kids roaring out of bed.  Chocolate cookies just have such a nice way of getting eaten without complaint.

 


1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (I have also used sunflower seeds with yummy results.)
1/4 cup coconut milk (I've used both light and regular.)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup allergy-friendly chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and spread the seeds out in an even layer on the prepared pan. Roast for 8 minutes, then stir them around and bake for 7-9 minutes more. Watch them closely so that they brown without burning.
2. While the seeds roast, in small saucepan heat the coconut milk, coconut sugar, salt, and chocolate chips until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
3. Let the coconut-chocolate mixture and the seeds cool for a few minutes just to avoid danger of totally burning yourself. Then add all of the ingredients to your food processor and blend until you have a thick, uniform paste. There will be a few little bits of seeds--no problem.
4. Form the dough into about 10 cookie dough balls. Dampen the tines of a fork and make a cross-hatch pattern on each cookie. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and then remove them from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.



This recipe is linked to Allergy-Friendly Friday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods WednesdayGluten-Free Wednesdays, Tastetastic Thursday, Happy Lil' Loves Are Baking, Fit and Fabulous Friday and Wellness Weekend.   
 


12 comments:

  1. My kids will love this, must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love that this uses seeds instead of almond flour since I have built up an allergy to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled on your blog via a link that someone pinned to pinterest (probably for something involving wheat berries as that's what I was looking for!). I AM SO GLAD I FOUND YOU. One kiddo who doesn't do dairy or soy and another who doesn't do dairy...this is crazy stuff to handle all by yourself especially living in an area where not a ton of people know how to help. Thaaaaaank yooooouuuu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad, too! You know, cooking around the allergies was overwhelming at first, but now I enjoy the challenge because of all the new things we eat that we would have never even dreamed of trying otherwise :o)

      Delete
  4. What a great recipe, I have sunflower seeds and almond milk ~ do you think that combination would work ok? And how happy does your lad look :-) Chuckled as I read your sentence about the cookies getting eaten without complaint! Thanks for sharing at Happy lil ❤'s are baking x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunflower seeds should certainly work, and almond milk is about as rich as the So Delicious coconut milk that I've used successfully, so go for it!

      Delete
  5. These cookies sound so amazing!!! I love pumpkin seeds and I have never used them in a cookie like this before. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Definitely making these, i love using seed flours! I am featuring your recipe this week on Allergy Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this recipe this morning, and they're delicious (will add less sugar next time) but a little soggy-ish, they look like they could break. any advice ?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soft when I make them, not crunchy, but I wouldn't call them soggy. The first thing I would try is just a few more minutes in the oven. If you want them crisper, maybe try a Tbsp. less coconut milk.

      Delete