Monday, June 25, 2012

Brownie Batter Breakfast Pudding

I have not posted any new recipes for a while because we have been out of town visiting my parents in Washington.  (It is not as easy to experiment in someone else's kitchen, especially when their pantry looks quite a bit different from yours.)  My parents are unapologetically dairy, meat, and refined flour eaters, but they are accepting of our diet. My mom was great about going to Trader Joe's and stocking up on whatever staples she could find for us. As we were winding up our visit, I wanted to eat up all the food she had purchased especially for us, as I knew my parents wouldn't eat it themselves.  There was about half of a can of leftover black beans in the fridge that I needed to make use of on our last day, and thus this breakfast pudding was born. If you love brownie batter but never dare to eat more than a spoonful or two because you don't want to make yourself sick, then this healthified version is a dream come true.  I made this pudding again today for my breakfast and topped it with some Grape-Nuts I had coated in tahini and brown rice syrup; it is also great with some extra sunflower seed butter swirled in.  For my kids' lunch today, I mixed the pudding with some yogurt and extra banana.  There were no complaints.
 

2/3 cup cooked black beans (rinsed and drained, if from a can)
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 Tbsp. sunflower seed butter
1/3 cup non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp. raisins
1/2 small, ripe banana
1 scoop stevia powder (1/32 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. vanilla or coconut extract
1/2 scoop vegan protein powder (optional)

Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until completely smooth. Top with granola and/or bananas, or swirl in some yogurt or sunflower seed butter. I love that it is filling, delicious, and has no refined sugars.

This post is linked to Breakfast Ideas Monday, Allergy-Friendly Friday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Allergy-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesdays, Your Green Resource, Wellness Weekend and Fit and Fabulous Fridays.   

 We forgot our camera on our trip, but, right before we left, Anthony took a picture of our Joy School graduate. Meanwhile, Abiline is studying bubble-blowing.



4 comments:

  1. Pudding with black beans, now that is something new. It looks so creamy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you use a different butter instead of the subflower seed butter? Like coconut oil? or real butter? If dairy isn't an issue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it would be great with any nut butter or coconut oil. Dairy butter would give a different flavor, but would probably be tasty.

      Delete