Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Crispy Sunflower Seed "Bacon" Bits

Usually the kids eat fine for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is a drawn our affair during which the kids stare into space, and we continuously have to remind them to acknowledge the food on their plate. I don't know what it is; maybe they are trying to stave off bedtime? So we are trying different tactics to improve the situation.  Last week we tried the no-nagging method: Let's see what happens if we just give them 45 minutes, offer an incentive if they finish, and then don't do any coaxing. The positive vibe at the dinner table was a plus, but, as a mom, I wasn't ok with just letting them not eat for nights in a row. So this week we are trying to motivate them with a trip to their favorite restaurant this weekend if they can eat without complaining or coercion all week. So far we are three nights down with good attitudes!

Admittedly, I have been helping them along by not giving them any super "challenging" meals. Tonight it was linguini with a creamy white sauce, sprinkled with these faux bacon bits I woke up thinking about last night. I have heard of coconut bacon, but wanted something that would mimic crispy bacon while still providing some protein.  So here we have the super-simple sunflower seed turned new and improved Bac-o recipe. I think these would be great on salad as well!


1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
1 Tbsp. liquid coconut aminos, or soy sauce if no soy allergy
1Tbsp. maple syrup
scant 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika

Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the sunflower seeds and stir around until a bit toasty looking. Add the coconut aminos or soy sauce, maple syrup, and smoked paprika. Stir for another minute or two to get everything well-coated and crispy. Remove from heat, cool, and serve.

This recipe is endorsed by the whole Holden crew and linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Allergy-Free Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wellness Weekend,  Healthy Vegan Friday.





  

9 comments:

  1. oh that sounds familiar at dinner time - tofu bacon is a favourite in our house and one of the few things that is gobbled up without coercion so I imagine these would be great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! They sounds really delicious. I'm thinking I could put them in the dehydrator instead of cooking to make raw bacon bits too. Thanks so much!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing this for a while as a substitute for popcorn with lots of butter. Of course, we know there really isn't any substitute for popcorn with lots of butter, but I soak about 4lbs. of raw organic sunnies for about 6 hours, put them on the dehydrator screens, spray with Bragg's aminos and also spray with apple cider vinegar. It's tangy and salty and can fulfill the munchie thing somewhat. I make sure they're dried to a true crisp.

      Delete
  3. I just put some raw sunflower seeds onto my toaster oven tray, spritz with Bragg's Aminos and toast for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Store in a jar in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this blog! I stumbled upon it via your husband's tumblr; your recipes have me salivating and your kids have my mom and I squealing in delight. I'm also LDS and vegan and it's great to read a blog full of delicious recipes that don't involve alcohol or coffee. Also, my mom and I absolutely adore the comics and drawings that your husband makes of your kids and it's great to see that they're just as awesome in real life.

    I can only imagine how discouraged and overwhelmed you must feel sometimes, but hang in there! You're doing a wonderful job and you have a ton of people rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. This is the nicest comment I have ever received!

      Delete