Thursday, February 2, 2012

Best Coconut-Hemp Milk Non-Dairy Yogurt

It seems that those who stumble across my blog are often looking for a non-soy based vegan yogurt recipe, so I thought I would do a quick update here and share what I have found to be the best non-dairy milk combo for yogurt:

1 can full-fat coconut milk
2 cups of water
1/2 cup raw shelled hemp seeds

Puree the milk, water, and seeds in a blender until the seeds are totally ground, about a minute. The milk will be thick; the ground hemp seeds will act as an added thickener in the finished product.  Culture the milk according to the instructions I posted earlier.  Once the yogurt has cooled in the fridge, blend it with the following:

1-2 tsp. vanilla, to taste
1/2 tsp. maple extract (optional, but very good)
1/4 cup cocont sugar or other natural sweetener
1 tsp xantham gum
1/4 tsp. stevia powder
1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen fruit, optional

Blend it for a good while, and it will get a mousse-like texture.  I also often add some calcium citrate powder. This is a great way to get good fats into your kids, as well as protein from the seeds. When blackberries were on sale last week, I mixed 6 oz, of blackberries and 1/2 banana in the yogurt as well, and the kids really loved it.

Here is my sleeping angel. Not always an angel when awake, but still totally precious.


  1. Thanks for this! I came to your blog from a yogurt search :) Looking forward to trying it as soon as I can find some hemp seeds in France!

  2. So excited to have found your blog today! My 2 year old granddaughter is allergic to dairy, soy, peanut, eggs...thanks for the great recipes!

    1. Glad you found me! I hope to start posting again soon :o)