Thursday, January 26, 2012

Accidental Biscuits

So, not every recipe comes out like I plan, but kitchen missteps are better regarded as happy accidents.  I have been dreaming of making vegan buttermilk bars, those icing-drenched doughnut bricks that I inherited a love for from my dad.  However, I really don't like the greasy mouth-feel that doughnuts leave in my mouth, so my ambition was to see if I could take a buttermilk doughnut recipe and bake them instead. Didn't work. Instead, we had scrumptious biscuits for breakfast. This is good, though, as I inadvertently fulfilled another baking goal I have had of making a sweet biscuit recipe that is tasty without being as deadly as my mom's recipe. My mom makes the hands-down best biscuits ever, which my dad has eaten every morning for breakfast for the last 30 or so years. I don't know how he does it, though: the recipe calls for 3/4 cube of margarine and 3/4 cup of oil. I for one would not be staying very trim if they were regulars at our breakfast table.  With just two tablespoons of margarine, these accidental biscuits are more every-day fare; I would probably just cut the sugar when I make them next time, since they are no longer aspiring to be doughnuts.


1 cup non-dairy milk
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 egg replacer (Ener-G brand, or could use two Tbsp. starch (tapioca, corn, arrowroot) mixed with 2 Tbsp. water)
2 Tbsp. melted Soy-free Earth Balance
2 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice (As I mentioned above, I would cut this to probably 1/3 cup when I make the next batch, but feel free to keep the whole 1/2 cup. They are not too sweet as is, with just a little Earth Balance on top.)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a 9 inch square pan. (Alternatively, if you have a brownie pan that makes individual bars, that is what I used. You could even use muffin pans if you want.) In a small bowl, mix the non-dairy milk with the cider vinegar and let sit to curdle for about 5 mins.
2. Mix up the egg replacer in a small cup and melt the Earth Balance in the microwave. Combine with the "buttermilk" mixture.
3. In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and evaporated cane juice and mix until well-combined. Make a well in the center and add the liquid ingredients. Mix just until evenly moistened. At this point you can either just drop the dough into your muffin or brownie pans (filling them generously), or you can lightly flour a work surface, knead the dough a few times, and then pat down and cut into about 9 biscuits and place them in the greased pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, just until slightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Yargh!  Abiline thought of this on her own. She had been looking at a picture in a book where the character had a monocle, and I think she wanted her own.


Just a couple of bike-riding dudes!




No comments:

Post a Comment