Monday, September 5, 2011

Ultimate Black Bean Cake Brownies

I know, there are numerous black bean brownie recipes out there, but you really have to try mine. These are cakey brownies, for sure, and very good bare, but the frosting takes them to the next level.  The frosting came about when I noticed a package of Mori-Nu Pudding Mates that I had purchased before we found out Abiline was allergic to soy.  I didn't want it to go to waste, so I decided to try to make the pudding with beans instead of tofu, and my audacity was rewarded with delicious results that surprised even me, as, to be honest, I was skeptical of my own creation.

To make a full confession, I feed the brownies to my kids sometimes as part of their lunch; they are full of beans, whole grains, and are low-sugar--what more could you want! With the frosting on, though, I admit that they become more of a dessert. To make a full, full, confession, I have been known to eat both the brownies and frosting for breakfast with banana and sunflower seed butter layered on top.  Anyone who has read my pumpkin bar post would perhaps think that this decadence confirms that I am my mother's daughter--and I would proudly say that you are right!



For the brownies:
2 c. rolled oats, soaked in water overnight and then drained and squeezed dry (save the oat milk and use it in recipes!)

1/2 c. dates, covered in boiling water, and allowed to soften for 10 minutes and then drained
1  c. black beans
1/2 ripe, medium banana
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. agave nectar or maple syrup
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c. canola oil
2/3 c. white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. chocolate chips, ground finely in a food processor


For the frosting:

1 1/2 c. or 1 can white beans
1 package chocolate Mori-Nu Pudding Mates
2 Tbsp. coconut manna/butter

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 9 in. square baking pan. Ina  food processor, combine the soaked oats and dates, black beans, banana, vanilla, agave, applesauce, and oil and puree until smooth.

2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder, and then stir in the ground chocolate chips. Add the wet ingredients from the food processor to the bowl and mix just until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 28-32 mins, until a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  let cool on a wire rack before enjoying with or without the frosting.
3. To make the frosting, combine the beans, Mori-Nu Pudding Mates, and coconut butter in a food processor and buzz until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment