Monday, August 22, 2011

A Bean and Seed Veggie-Burger Recipe


On Friday I had planned on making a recipe for Thai burgers from the new Peas and Thank You cookbook, but then I realized that I didn't have most of the ingredients. So I made up my own basic veggie burger, which had such great texture that I decided to post it even though veggie burgers are not usually particularly noteworthy. We like to butter the bread and fry our veggieburger sandwiches in the Holden household to get some extra calories into the kids. If you are not wary of excess calories, then I highly recommend this method. I served these particular grilled sandwiches with the nutritional yeast cheesy sauce from Go Dairy Free, and everyone gave them the thumbs up, but use whatever toppings you like on your burgers if the grilled cheese patty isn't for you.

1 c. oatmeal, finely ground in a food processor
1 1/2 c. adzuki or black beans (can sub 1 can if not using homemade)
1 1/2 c. chickpeas (can sub 1 can if not using homemade)
3 Tbsp. pumpkin seed butter (could sub 1/4 c. ground pumpkin seeds and 1 Tbsp. oil)
1/2 c. pineapple chunks (Yes, I put pineapple in everything nowadays. I bought a huge can of it at Costco :o)
2 Tbsp. liquid coconut aminos, or soy sauce if you don't have any soy allergies
1/4 c. chia seeds (could sub ground flax seeds)
2 tsp. chile powder
1 tsp. crumbled, dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. salt
2 small or 1 large carrot, finely grated

In a food processor, puree the beans with the pumpkin seed butter, pineapple, coconut aminos, chia seeds, chile powder, rosemary, and salt. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and add ground oats and grated carrots, and stir to combine. Refrigerate for 30 mins. if you can to firm it up. When you are ready to fry them up, heat a tablespoon or two of olive or grapeseed oil in a frying pan and cook them until nicely browned on both sides.



No comments:

Post a Comment